Fortunately, serious poisoning by plants is uncommon. The most likely “victim” is going to be a young puppy - investigating its new home - and biting off rather more
than is good for it. Symptoms are usually a bad case of vomiting or diarrhoea - after which, all is forgotten and then the look that says “where’s my supper?”.
Things can get dangerous - if left untreated. Toxins in various plants can induce twitching, unsteadiness, convulsions ....or even worse.
Any of these signs and /or lethargy, and / or loss of appetite .. “Get to a Vet”.
- Aloe Vera, Amaryllis, Apple(seeds), Apple Leaf Croton, Apricot(stones) Asparagus Fern, Autumn Crocus, Azalea.
- Baby’s Breath, Birds of Paradise, Box-Hedge(leaves), Bluebell(seeds) Branching Ivy, Bracken, Buckeye, Buddist Pine, Buttercup.
- Caladiun, Calla Lily, Castor Bean, Ceriman, Charming Dieffenbachia, Cherry, Cineria, Chinese Evergreen, Clematis, Cordatum, Corn Plant, Cornstalk Plant,
Crocus, Croton, Cuban Laurel, Christmas Daisy, Cutleaf Philedendron, Cycads and Cyclamen.
- Daffodil (bulbs), Daphne, Delphinium, Devil’s Ivy, Dieffenbachia, Draceana Palm, Dragon Tree, Dumb Cane.
- Easter Lily, Elaine, Elberberries, Elephants Ears, Emerald Feather, English Ivy, Eucalyptus.
- Fiddle-leaf Fig, Florida Beauty, Foxglove, Fruit Salad Plant.
- Geranium, German Ivy, Giant Dumb Cane, Gold Dust Dracaena, Glacier Ivy, Gladiolus, Golden Pothos.
- Hyacinth, Heartland Pliledendron, Holly(berries), Hurricane Plant, Hydrangea
- Indian Rubber Plant, Ivy.
- Janet Craig Dracaena, Japanese Show Lily, Jerusalem Cherry.
- Laburnham, Larkspur, Lacy Tree Philedendron, Lily of the Valley, Lupin.
- Madagascar Dragon Tree, Marble Queen, Marijuana, May (apples), Mistletoe (berries), Mexican Breadfruit, Miniture Croton, Mongashood, Moonseed
(berries and roots), Morning Glory, Mother-in-Law’s Tongue.
- Narcissus, Needlepoint Ivy, Nephitis, Nightshade.
- Oak (leaves and acorns), Oleander, Onion, Oriental Lily.
- Peach lily, Peach (leaves and stone), Pencil Cactus, Plumosa Fern, Poinsettia, Pothos, Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, Precatory Bean, Primrose.
- Red Emerald, Red Princess, Red Margined Dracaena, Rhodedendron, Ribbon Plant, Ragwort, Raisins, Rape, Rhododendron, Rhubard (leaves).
- Saddle Leaf Philedendron, Sago Palm, Satin Pothos, Scheffiera, Silver Pothos, Snowdrop, Spotted Dumb Cane, String of Pearls, Sweet pea, Sweetheart Ivy, Swiss Cheese Plant.
- Taro Vine, Tiger Lily, Tomato Plant (green fruit, stem and leaves), Tree Philedendron, Tropic Snow Dieffenbachia, Tulip.
- Water Hemlock, Wild Cherry (twigs and leaves), Wisteria, Weeping Fig.
- Yew....... and if - “yew” (groan!) - hear of any others, please let us know! ....